The Definition of Cannabis Rosin is a Cannabis-extracted concentrate. Many people know about Cannabis Concentrates. Clients consume either by vaping, infused oils, kinds of butter, or making infused gummies, brownies, and beverages, whether hot or cold. The known concentrates are hash, kief, bubble hash, and Rosin, which all fall under the definition of Cannabis rosin in various forms.
Cannabis Rosin is the newest concentrate developed and is becoming a more sought-after alternative. And this is because it does not need harmful solvents to affect the extraction. Instead, the extraction process uses only heat and pressure to get at the liquid of amber color, containing the plants’ terpenes and cannabinoids, which results in a whole spectrum concentrate of the highest potency, clean and pure THC – Tetrahydrocannabinol, or CBD – Cannabidiol.
How Does Cannabis Rosin Look?
Cannabis Rosin is a sticky liquid of amber color. Its consistency is equivalent to a smooth, rich butter spread, containing all the expected flavors and potency. And because no harmful solvents are in the finished product; or used in the extraction process, you can readily smoke, vape, dab, or ingest by whatever consumption process you like. The Definition of Cannabis Rosin includes any of these methods of consumption.
Cannabis concentrates extraction methods using harmful hydrocarbons and chemicals are illegal. It is also dangerous, and people have gotten hurt using this method. Therefore, solventless extraction methods are popular, hence the use of heat and pressure, which is centuries old.
How Much Rosin Yield From a Pound of Weed?
Cannabis buds, hash, and kief can extract Rosin concentrates. To get these materials, you should purchase from a reputable Cannabis Dispensary to ensure you buy products free of harmful chemicals. If you grow your cannabis plants, then it is safe to say your material is free from any chemicals.
The expected yield is relative to the materials used, with the temperature and pressure applied. It is also a factor in the quality material you choose to press for Rosin extraction. Cannabis Rosin can come in three different strains of Cannabis, Sativa, Indica, and Hybrid, and they also determine the potency of the Rosin.
So, here goes! Using dry weight material of either Cannabis flowers, hash, or sift, your yield will be different. Bubble hash indeed gives a higher output of Rosin than flowers. However, this does not mean should you choose to extract your Rosin from buds, your potency levels are not as viable.
Calculated Rosin Yield from one pound dried weight Cannabis
- 1 pound/ 458 grams cured flower- 68.7 grams
- 1 pound/458 grams bubble hash- 274.80 grams
- 1 pound/458 grams sift- 183.20 grams
Figuring Rosin Yield from Wash yield
- 1 pound Cannabis/ 458 grams cured flower- 67.20 grams
- 1 pound Cannabis/ 458 grams fresh frozen – 13.44 grams
**The calculation is on The PressClub.com Rosin Yield calculator.
Another thing to note is the higher the percentage of trichomes contain in a one-pound Cannabis material for pressing constitutes a more significant percentage of Rosin yield.
Method For Cannabis Rosin Extraction
Because no harmful solvents are in this extraction process, you will need the following items to begin.
Items Needed For Rosin Extraction
- Cannabis material
- Unbleached sheets of parchment paper- perfect for pressing flowers
- Rosin bag/ for pressing hash or kief
- Heating press or hair straightener
- Dabbing tool or scraper
- Storage container
- Gloves, preferably heat-resistant ones for protecting your hands
If using flowers- understanding your Rosin yield will be far less than using bubble hash or kief, ensure the buds are dried and cured, resulting in 55-62% humidity remaining in your material. And this ensures you have a more significant percentage of cannabinoids and terpene content.
For persons extracting Rosin for the first time and using a hair straightener, you need one with a wide enough plate, about 2-inches. It must also have a reliable temperature adjustment control. And this is because the required temperature for extracting the concentrate is between 200-300 degrees Fahrenheit. More experienced Rosin extractors may have a Rosin press explicitly designed for this process.
Many newbies to pressing Rosin while using the hair straightener is convenient; over time, it is good to graduate to a Rosin press. And this gives better results and greater yield. Investigating the price for a press is the way forward for investing in one. And you can save towards making the purchase.
- Preheat your machine to the lowest temperature while preparing your Cannabis material for pressing
- Prepare your Cannabis material by flattening the flowers, hash, or kief to size and dimension that will fit comfortably between the plates of the press.
- Fold your parchment paper in half, making sure you fashion a funnel-shaped spout for channeling the Rosin into the storage container as it oozes out during pressing. If extracting concentrate from hash or kief, place the material into it.
- Place the folded parchment paper with the buds or the Rosin bag containing the hash or kief between the heating plate, and start pressing.
- Press until you hear a soft sizzle, which should be about 30 seconds- repeat the pressing action until you see the gooey liquid oozing from the material onto the parchment paper. You can up the temperature should it not be enough for extraction. Remember, however, that the hotter the plates’ temperature, the likelihood of scorching or burning your Rosin.
- Continue this pressing process until there is no longer a Rosin flow.
- Allow Rosin to cool to room temperature and tightly close the lid. Store in a cool dark place or your refrigerator
The yield calculator is mainly for persons wanting to qualify how profitable it is when using premium material for pressing Rosin. However, it is also good information for understanding the difference in grams or ounces when purchasing Cannabis materials. The Definition of Cannabis Rosin as an extract of cannabis plants requires an understanding of extraction yields.
Although yield is not as important as the quality, you want to know if buying supplies from a Dispensary; you are sure you are making an intelligent purchase. Determine the cannabis strain you will use by asking questions of the dispensary about what is best for your needs. The legality for pressing Cannabis rosin is dependent on the state you reside. Checking the legislation on owning, growing and production is best.
So, experiment on which is easier for extracting the “good stuff” and which material you prefer depending on flavor and terpene profile. Indeed, this is good information for new users of Rosin, and it is a helpful guideline for future reference.